When the water softener does not work properly, you can identify the issue immediately. Any faults or problems in a water softener will provide you poor quality water. In some cases, when the problem persists, the water softener stops providing soft water. This article will describe some of the common problems that your water softener may face as well as the effective ways to cope with those:
- Use the motor with precaution
Water softeners run on electric motors. If the electric motor is not starting, check out all cables and wires associated with it. If all wires are in the good and correct position, there might be a problem in the motor. The motor of a water softener is expensive hardware. It seems difficult to replace or repair the softener’s motor.
In case of a motor issue, you should contact the manufacturer in the first hand. In case, if the guarantee of the motor persists, you are lucky. If the warranty period has been over, yet the relevant company can better guide you.
- Clean up the clogging in the drain hose
If you notice that the water softener has been generating salty water, it means that softener is regenerating the water at low quality. It is also an indication of clogging in the drain hose. The drain hose needs cleaning properly.
- Monitor the low water pressure in the softener
If your water softener has low pressure, there may be various factors that contribute to the low pressure:
Water softener capacity: When you have not installed the proper size of the water softener, it causes many issues. Check the inlet and outlet pressure capacity to gain the required pressure.
Scaling: The scaling of minerals in the tank also lowers down the water pressure. So, try to avoid the mineral build up in the tank and the line system.
The iron build-up: When the resin tank starts accumulating the iron build-up, it also affects the water pressure. To avoid this issue, use iron cleaning minerals in the tank.
- Prevent water accumulation in the salt tank
There might be many reasons for the water accumulation in the salt tank. Try to identify the right reason to resolve the issue. Let us have a look at some of the common factors:
- Expired water softener: Water softeners have a fixed life. Companies set the life of the water softeners of nearly 7 years or more than that. If the salt tank remains usually filled with water, you need to check out the expiry date of the hardware. After a fixed tenure, the softener may stop working efficiently.
- The water valve is damaged: if the water entry valve is damaged, it may cause flooding in the salt tank. The broken or damaged valve issue can be solved by replacing the lid.
- The float valve is installed higher: If the float valve is installed higher, it may not work properly and water may not get the right path to flow. Install the float valve lower to avoid the water in the salt tank. Remove Scaling in the tank and pipelines
Water softeners avoid the minerals scaling in the water storage and the system pipelines. Yet the water softener works with salt and you can see the salt scaling in the tank due to inefficient working of the water softener.
Sometimes, salt bridges build up in the base of the tank that prevents the softener to work on the hard water. It is very necessary to remove that bridging immediately. You can simply break down the salt scaling and be careful about any mineral scaling inside or outside the tank.
- Avoid leakages in the water softener
If the water is seeping out from the system, it is necessary to check out the leakage in a saltless water softener. To find out leakage in any system is a tough and tedious task. You have to see all the pipelines, tanks, drain hose, and associated hardware to find the leakage point.
Usually, leakages occur due to faulty installation. If leakage happens at the time of installation, it is easy to find the problem. The leakage needs to fix immediately. You have to change the relevant component of the water softener to fix it or it may require just repairing.
There are various other problems that a salt-based water softener or saltless water softeners have in common. A water softener is a technology that requires the attention of the user continuously. You should keep the tanks and other compartments of the softener clean. The precautionary measures are the best way to cope with the problems in the water softening mechanism. Try to operate the water softener as instructed in the user manual only. It will save you from future troubles and repairing expenses.